About Infant Jesus of Prague Parish
In 1952, one hundred and fifty families in the village of Flossmoor and is surrounding area asked permission of His Eminence, the late Samuel Cardinal Stritch, to build a church of their own.
In 1954, the Cardinal gave his permission and enthusiastically approved the plans. He then commissioned the name of the church: Infant Jesus of Prague.
On Sunday, July 24, 1955, His Eminence, Cardinal Stritch, dedicated the practically completed church.
In 1957, Father Richard Hills was assigned to establish the parish, heretofore a mission of Infant Jesus of Prague. The brick building of the church is in the Lombard style, with a tile roof, and is complete with a campanella, or campanile – a bell tower. The interior of the church is combed white oak from South America. The upper tier of stained glass windows is in an abstract motif, while the lower tier at eye level features phrases from the litany of the Infant Jesus. The statues are of Carrara marble. The Station of the Cross are made of wood from Bavaria.
In 1958, the school was built to teach the children of the parish. A groundbreaking ceremony was held on January 26, and the school opened its doors for the first time on September 10, 1958.
A convent for the Sisters of St. Dominic was completed in May of 1961. The rectory and office building was finished in September of 1963. The parish center which was connected to the school was dedicated and blessed in June of 1970. All four buildings were designed to harmonize with the Lombard architecture of the church.
The gymnasium was completed in 1970.